Monday, August 28, 2006

Flash flood!

What perfect timing to have the skies suddenly open up and bucket down on the 5pm struggle-home crowd in the city. Buildings turned into waterfalls and streets into rivers. People were ducking and diving about, grinning at the rain and each other as they gave up on any attempt at staying dry. A woman grabbed my arm and shared her umbrella with me. "You look like a drowned rat," she laughed as we waltzed together to shelter.

The bus was full of damp smiling people gazing out the window at the rain like children who have never seen such water fall from the sky. We squelched and dripped the ride home as the downpour slowed to a drizzle and the euphoria faded to a glimmer. I took off my soaked shoes and splashed shamelessly in the puddles the whole way down my street.

3 Comments:

Blogger MadameBoffin said...

RAINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!

It's great how everyone was smiling. I was on the train home about that time and every time we pulled into a station and the doors open, everyone would peer outside in amazement and smile. Finally! Rain!!!

My little 2 year old nephew didn't know what to make of it. His only experience of rain is very light drizzle. His mother and him had to make a mad dash from car to house and got drenched in the 30 secs it took. The poor little mite was absolutely bewildered - he had no idea what to make of it. He's now absolutely obsessed with rain :)

12:42 PM  
Blogger Sherd said...

I hadn't realised how I'd missed it until it rained again and I felt relieved. Ah, ok, the world is alright again.

9:36 PM  
Blogger T. S. said...

It was very surreal. I had the good fortune of being stuck outside Ashgrove Woollies (they were evacuated - I gather because of some storm-related hazard), waiting for my girlfriend to pick me up during the majority of the downpour.

11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home